Home

Cats and hairballs

This is Vex watching over our niece as she slept. The pets are quite attentive to the children guests that we have and are very protective. 

We have always managed to have medium to long hair cats, not that we try to do so. It is just a coincidence. Well, any cat can have hairballs. I can't say if our cats have more than normal. I haven't really searched for any information on that.

Last night, it turned out that Vex didn't feel well. He jumped onto the headboard and began to cough up a fur ball. (Sorry for being so indelicate.) It was a slow moving day for me and he was right above my head. I tried to move and my husband tried to catch what the cat was offering. (How is that for true love?)

Unfortunately, some did get in my hair...and on the bed, the pillow, and the headboard. We cleaned it and washed up. Yuck. We held Vex to make sure he was okay. He seemed upset or maybe he just didn't feel good yet. 

We have had company over when one of the black cats have come up to us to offer a fur ball. Our guests ask if it upsets us that they come to us and do it. 

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. Psychologically, we have developed a relationship with the black cats that they know they can come to us when they need comfort. We cannot take the credit alone. They are secure enough that they feel safe reaching out to us at such times.

Before she found us, our youngest cat, Mystique, was badly treated. She will hide if anything frightens or upsets her. We try to make her feel safe, but she learned early on that humans are not the nicest creatures on the planet. So for her, she doesn't feel comfortable reaching out to us.

In the future, when something like a hairball incident occurs with your fur babies and they wish for you to share in the experience (such as leaving it in a shoe or where you will step on it) think of it as they feel comfortable enough to let you know that they were not feeling the best. It won't make clean up any funner, but at least it might keep your stress level lower. 

3 comments:

  1. I always say: hairballs happen.

    The cat can't help this malady, and it seems to be a part of a cat's life.

    My cats are outdoor cats, but I still watch them for any ill behavior, like hairballs or diarrhea, head shaking (ear mites) etc. I want them to be content as possible.

    My cats are all short hair ones, and even when I had one in my home, we rarely had hairballs. I did brush them at shedding time in the spring, and added olive oil to their food once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know they make store bought products for that , but years ago when I worked for the vets they always suggested putting a little butter on your finger and rubbing that on the top of their paws. They will be throughly insulted , then they put a lot of effort licking it off , but that really helps with the furballs ,plus I always laughed at the antics they provide. I know I should not laugh at them -but sometimes it is just so undeniable that I have to. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of butter. That might be something to try. Anything to ease their discomfort. :)

      Delete